Stapleford lies seven kilometres SE of Cambridge. The river Granta could be forded there, though the ford has long since been replaced by a bridge.
The population has grown greatly over the last two hundred years. At the 1801 census there were 235 people and in 1831 464. Numbers reached a peak of 594 in 1871, a number not exceeded until 1931 when they attained 636. Since then numbers have grown steadily, to 831 in 1951, 1548 in 1961, 1567 in 1971, 1668 in 1981 and 1749 in 1991, falling back slightly to 1740 in 2001. The estimated figure in 2010 was 1880. The boundaries of the parish remained almost unchanged until 1985, when three dwellings on the further side of the old ford were gained from Sawston. The ancient parish contained 1835 acres (743 hectares).
The village has a primary school (the Community Primary School), a church hall (the Johnson Hall), this church St Andrew’s, two Public Houses, The Tree, and The Rose, but lost its post office in 2005.
For more about our village click Stapleford Village