Stapleford is a beautiful English village. At its heart is an ancient parish church, parts of which pre-date the Norman conquest of 1066. This wonderful building speaks of history, and is still a regular place of worship. However, maintaining the historic fabric is a challenge that the church community alone cannot meet, so The Friends of Saint Andrew’s was formed in 1995 to help out.
An annual donation gives membership and supports the ongoing maintenance of this fine building. Funds are applied solely to the “fabric of the church, its fixtures, fittings, furniture, stained glass, ornaments and other chattels”.
The Friends is a registered charity and run by volunteers who organise a number of fun-raising events each year.
To date the Friends have contributed £39,000 towards repairs to the church roof, and a further £3,800 to clock repairs. The church is now in fine condition, but building funds is essential in preparation for the next inevitable request.